Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Upon Reflecting...

I see my other friends striving for business degrees and looking for jobs that suit them monetarily. I sometimes look at my life and think I've made the wrong choice. But once I speak up to myself I can finally hear my own voice. I don't care about making a million dollars (sure it would be nice) I care about making a difference in the world. Helping the American youth see the beauty in literature and the power it holds in life. Literature has literally inspired millions, caused wars, and bonded humanity. It is my privilege to be a teacher of such a subject.

This class has taught me to look outside of the box when it comes to the teaching field. The old methods aren't working, test scores are plummeting, and students are disinterested as ever. I've also learned some strategies to incorporate in my own classroom for the betterment of my students. For instance, literature circles are an awesome tool to use in the classroom. They are mini book clubs for the young! I feel once you have your class involved in lit circles then they will truly come to love the book itself. Instead of viewing it as homework students can view reading as fun. I've learned to engage students in anyway possible and getting them interested. If that means I have to come to class dressed up like Julius Caesar to help them comprehend the Shakespearean play...I'll do it. But, I have learned to be extremely prepared as a teacher. Preparedness is key in the classroom. If you do not know the material then your students will lose faith in your skills. However, it is OK to tell students you are unsure of something because knowing when to ask for help is a powerful skill. My philosophy of literature is as a follows: I believe literature and the humanities help define our roles as human beings in order to gather a better understanding of others we must enter their realities. Literature is essential to strong development in every person, and believe reading is a tool to enlighten students.

My performance in the class has taught me to slow down and be willing to change your ways. Teaching is an experiment and sometimes we have to shift things up to receive a better result. If you are unwilling to stop and reflect then what good will come in your classroom. Self-evaluation is pertinent to a stronger and better you. So I've learned to reflect on the classroom and be willing to change. Also, my performances along with others have taught me that the classroom does not have to be straight lecture. The classroom needs to be jam packed with fun and interesting aspects to garner student involvement. The group teach taught me that dealing with peers will be important to developing strategies in your classroom. If you place yourself with a great group of colleagues the feedback they will present to you may be vital to classroom enhancement.

So where am I as a teacher of English today? Well I am in the process of fine tuning myself and learning my own classroom identity. Before I can learn my student's diverse identities I need a strong grip of myself. I am in process of being a sponge that absorbs any potential strategy I find helpful for my classroom. I consider myself beginning to be a teacher of English who incorporates books, poems, stories which increase my students comprehension of others along with the reality of life. I want the information presented to transcend the classroom and I want students to say: "I learned so much in that class, including becoming a better person."

10 comments:

  1. "Teaching is an experiment and sometimes we have to shift things up to receive a better result."

    This is great and so true! We should try new things, switch it up, and if it fails, fix it or start over. That's what you do within an experiment; you test things out and if they work, you proceed and add onto the experiment. It's a constant work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that reflection and preparedness are the keys. If you're prepared, you can be confident in anything you do. That, and your students will notice when you're not; they might even call you out in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love why you want to be a teacher. I feel the same way. I want to see that difference and when a student succeeds. It is the greatest feeling in the world to see that because of you, your students will be learning and developing as a person and their beliefs. Most of the people I remember and have been inspired by have been previous teachers. I want to be able to have that impact on my students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Andrew. And I think almost all of us have debated before about whether to pursue teaching or a business oriented field for money. But for the reason you specified, to help a greater cause, especially when the time feels critical, is what helps solidify my choice to go into teaching. I also wanted to get into teaching because I didn't think a lot of teachers I had were giving it their all; they were only putting in half the effort and that's why some classes I had been in were completely haywire the entire time. And I feel confident in saying this, but after meeting all of you in this class, there's no doubt in my mind that you all will all go on to become a successful teacher that really have excellent results.

    P.S. - Nice sentence diagram. Maybe we will introduce that into the classroom some day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I were JUST talking the other day about how we would have been great Business majors! However, I definitely think we'll be even better English teachers, MR. HARMON.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for bringing Dr. Faber into this post....I loved it!

    No seriously though, I loved your comment about slowing down and adapting. This is the key to being an effective teacher. Too many times, I think teachers just go through the motions. It's going to be super important to lean on the supportive of fellow teachers to make sure that we don't get burnt out and just do the "norm". Kids do need variety and funfilled days. We have to be willing to adapt and give them what they need. It's not always easy, but laziness equals mediocrity and I don't want to be mediocre.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew, i do not have much to say other than i am completely envious of your true natural ability to teach. I've seen you teach twice in this class and once in Dr. Stewart's class and you are honestly amazing! Your poise and nature and engagement in front of a classroom is like watching a great performance. i know it may seem like i will end this post with "Do you like me? check 'yes' or 'no'" But i am serious, you will be a fantastic educator and also the inspiration of the future wave of teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks man, it means a lot. You're going to be a great teacher too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It means so much that you want your lessons to transcend the classroom. A lot of our students will not have positive role models at home to look up to; and if we teach them valuable life lessons, they will likely stay with them a lot longer than the novel we read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As Socrates said, Wisdom begins in wonder.

    Keep "wonder" and you'll live a happy life!

    You will rock Andrew!

    ReplyDelete