Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Into the Night

Sleeping quarters in a concentration camp --how sad
  
    Wow. Wow. Wow. Those were the very words that flowed out of my mouth immediately after reading Night by Elie Wiesel . This novel focuses upon the tragic events Elie Wiesel was put through during the Holocaust. Traveling from concentration camp to concentration camp he is put through constant torture. I have always read about the Holocaust and even watched many movies/shows focusing on it. None and I mean none, have impacted me in the way this book has. Wiesel describes his journey in simplistic diction but the message was strengthened by such. No human should be put through the experiences Wiesel and his father had to tolerate. From riding in open roofed train cars with dead bodies to smell the burning flesh climbing out of the crematoria. Reading about such events have drastically altered my views of life; I cannot imagine actually experiencing such events. 

    However, I know majority of society accepts that the Holocaust actually occurred --but do they truly accept it? To be more specific.. Americans accept this event actually occurred but have not studied these atrocities outside of their 10th Grade History lesson. I would certainly love to include Night in my class curriculum. This memoir would open the eyes to so many students and I feel the impact would resonate with them forever. The themes of death, humanity, survival, and existence would be explored. I just hope I get the chance to teach many lessons on this story because its message is timeless. That we are all brothers regardless of race, religion, gender etc.  It would also be useful to draw their attention to genocide present in the world today.

     But reading this memoir has not just left me with feelings of despair and agony, rather I feel encouraged to make an impact on others. Wiesel calls for everyone to act because we are alive and it our natural born duty as humans. We must help others simply because it is the human thing to do. We must wake up from our own dreams like the children in the beginning of Night. Arise from our slumber and help others all over the globe. Ignorance is not bliss and we are called to help all people. In this crazy world we have people looking at themselves just like Wiesel, "The look in his eyes, as they stared into mine, has never left me." Let's prevent other people from having to endure atrocities that destroy ones soul for the rest of their life.
  
P.S. Oprah, you made an excellent book club choice. I mean your first memoir didn't go over as well; I think James Frey realizes that. But I'm glad you chose this memoir to enlighten the spirits of many Americans. Good job :)

Here is part 1 of an amazing interview at the Auschwitz death camp with Elie Wiesel. This is extremely moving.

9 comments:

  1. I thought _Night_ was able to cover all the bases in really summing up how devastating the Holocaust really was, and especially because it's from a first-hand account of the events. I also agree in that the awareness of the Holocaust and its significance must carry-on even outside of High School, and hopefully people will realize that discrimination adopts followers to further perpetuate the cycle, and history shows us what it's like for a Nation full of followers can do when discrimination is taken to a high degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Wiesel describes his journey in simplistic diction but the message was strengthened by such. No human should be put through the experiences Wiesel and his father had to tolerate"
    - Its nice that you point out the language as simple diction because this will matter to our students. It is important to show how other humans 'tolerate' many experiences that no one should deal with. Because it gives the students a different view than what they may be used to, in return giving them more gratitude for their lives. It is good to show our students what discrimination can really do to others and emphasis equalness. You even stated that you would not be able to deal with such situations, this is how your students will feel too. You could even do a lesson which incorporates how others feel due to the trauma. video clips, family members with memories, etc. I think you would do a great job with this subject in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the passionate blog! i am definately going to take the time to read this book now. i was unaware that it was a memoir. (ps. i have nightmares of Oprah becoming president!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Oprah, you made an excellent book club choice. I mean your first memoir didn't go over as well; I think James Frey realizes that. But I'm glad you chose this memoir to enlighten the spirits of many Americans. Good job :)


    HAHA. Ok now listen, James Frey's book was phenomenal, whether it was a memoir or not! I can't stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if there are many other events that have never even been "touched" in the classroom that would be just as powerful...not to diminish the monstrocity that happened with the terrible things that occurred during the Holocaust, but I guess I feel that there are many other lives that have been affected through lifechanging events that aren't focused on..I think that a book like Night and a unit on the Holocaust could segway into all kinds of novels and literature based on tragic unfortunate moments in history where real human beings experienced mind altering events that changed history..I wonder what a unit would look like that focused on immigration, or drug/human trafficing, on AIDS, etc. Just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was very pleased to read such a passionate blog, as some people are very wary of sharing their emotions about the Holocaust. It's great that you want to make a change after reading "Night," because it is important that people understand and accept what happened during the Holocaust. It's important that as a teacher you use your strong emotions to impact the lives of your students so that they can understand how influential the Holocaust really was!

    And I agree, this book was a GREAT suggestion on Oprah's part (no matter how much I dislike her)!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to begin by saying I love Night!!! it is one of my favorite novels. I am so happy the novel moved you so much. It brightens my evening (dumb I know).
    the interview was amazing. So cool that you took the time to find that. I love that so many others are passionate about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. " But reading this memoir has not just left me with feelings of despair and agony, rather I feel encouraged to make an impact on others."

    This is the apathey we want our students to feel after reading a book like this. I'm glad you were passionate about the topic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book resonate. It is STILL with me. And your picture is haunting. I hope we can stand up and fight against the inhumanity in the world. This book is definitely going to be included in my classes as well.

    ReplyDelete