Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Comic Effect


     I have almost zero experience working with comic books or manga but after reading these articles I would like to change that. Sometimes I find myself viewing reading or literature in such strict categories and I forget there are so many different elements. Unfortunately, students of this time era tend to find disinterest in the conventional literature or the "classics." I believe a successful teacher will be able to inspire students to regard classic literature and enjoy newer literature. Comic books are an awesome element to incorporate into the classroom because it asks the students to shift their perception about conventional literature. However, as a teacher I would spend several class periods reviewing the conventions of comic books. 
      I particularly enjoyed Dr. Mortimore's article which goes into great detail about the various elements in graphic literature. Articles like that would be extremely helpful to give students the important information. I would give my students a handout to guide them along with this new style of book. Conventions such as the "gutter" present in comic books would give students a chance to use their imagination in new ways. The importance of comic books is derived from their visual strength which enhances reader experience. This statement is effective in comics resonating effect, "...we now realize the power they have for engaging students in authentic writing. These forms of popular culture provided a visual vocabulary of sorts for scaffolding writing techniques, particularly dialogue, tone, and mood" (Frey and Fisher 24).
Which would you prefer?
     It is our job as future teachers to breathe new life into the field of education. Classic books may be effective in their overall meaning but they will not garner student interest like a comic book. Something fresh and new will be attractive to a student's eye and they will be drawn to other books in your course. I think if you reel student interest in the beginning of the school year then they will be more willing to read the other novels. Try sparknoting a comic book because there is nothing of the sort. I think many English teachers would view themselves as traitors by teaching Shakespeare through a graphic novel. In reality they should view themselves as innovators paving the road for new student interest in Shakespeare. Lets be honest your not going to have many students anxiously waiting to read classic Shakespeare. Which means it is our job to incorporate graphic novels in order for the comic effect to take place.


11 comments:

  1. As a student, I HATED Shakespeare! I agree that something needs to be done here. I know that some educators believe that something as "perfect" as Shakespeare cannot be altered and must be taken for the raw and brillant form for which it is usuallly taught. However, I 100% agree with you, that I might have gotten a different standpoint, IF we used the Manga books either as an additional read or the main text in the classroom. There is a lot more to take from this genre the meets the eye, and using it in Shakespeare is an awesome idea! Kudos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your question (alongside each Shakespeare graphic) "Which would you prefer"? is a very provocative one...one that will no doubt have us taking sides as future teachers of "English."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's good to include both classics and graphic novels into the classroom. Graphic novels can provide strong visual that can enhance a reader's experience. It's a great idea to give a handout to students to give them some guidance as they read. I believe that will really help students to better understand conventions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an excellent idea of providing a handout to your students to help them through reading a graphic novel. I know I was glad to have reference to one to help me know all of the elements.
    I agree with your insight on incorporating something "fresh". I never read graphic novels in middle/high school. I feel that would have been something great for students to experience. We need the balance of the new and the old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to play devil's advocate here and ask: what happens if ALL we end up teaching is Manga Shakespeare or a graphic novel of To Kill A Mockingbird? Have we lost something important to our culture/literary canon, or are we simply updating it? As long as the graphic novel for TKAM has the same messages and a similar plot, does it matter that we're no longer teaching the original?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you used the word imagination, because I feel as if using graphic novels and comics is definitely a great foot in the door for students who have trouble visualizing texts. Giving them an opportunity to see the visuals can help them visualize the next book they read that ISN'T a graphic novel. I agree that the conventions of comics should be taught to students as well so they have a better understanding of what they're reading a why they're reading it. I think the classics are important, but why not mix things up a little bit!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Classic books may be effective in their overall meaning but they will not garner student interest like a comic book."

    And going off Nate's statement, I think we need to find a nice medium that can include both classic literature and the newer comic/magna genre. I rationalize it this way: if our teachers never pushed the classics on us, and instead only gave us modern material, we would've never had the opportunity to appreciate the classics. Naturally the classics aren't going to appeal to everyone, but does every element of a certain subject matter gain interest in everyone interested in that field? No, but atleast it's being presented so some could take interest in it. Just broadening my horizons to try to connect to as many different people on many different levels is going to be my focus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that you want to bring something new to the students in the beginning of the year to spark their interests in reading. I too don't think of the unconventional sources of literature when I think of reading in high school. The use of comic books could reel the students in and because they aren't on sparknotes, the students would need to read the material

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that the new is what is going to attract our future students. I know they are not all going to be excited about all the "clasic" literature that we are going to attempt to teach them about.
    I also like how Krista mentioned reeling the students in with these books rather than having them use sparknotes. Is it possible that we could read the classic literature and use the graphic novels in place of sparknotes. As like a check to the students to see if they understand what is going on. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I believe a successful teacher will be able to inspire students to regard classic literature and enjoy newer literature."

    This part of your post is both inspirational and true. Not all of our students will share our love of classic literature. Yes, we could just give them the material whether they like it or not and go about our days. But what is the fun in that? A successful teacher, as you said and what all of us in this class aim to be, wants their students to really enjoy and engage in the assigned readings. I think by incorporating both classic literature and contemporary texts, we can encourage an appreciation of a wide range of literature. It's all about balance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recall reading comic books when I was little but that was about it -- so this essentially was my first immersion too. I also found Dr. Mortimore’s article really key to getting a sense of the genre and medium to support understanding. I agree with Katie’s and Denny’s commentary that we really can and should include classics and graphic novels into the classroom. Already we see students introducing several mediums in presentations in support of student understanding. I do worry about straying entirely away from all classics and texts but think there’s a happy medium (no pun intended) for mixing it up a bit in terms of modes and channels.

    ReplyDelete